toefl listening practice tests app covered complete reading Section with conversation and reading passage types of sub section. It provides model Practice tests papers with detailed Solution.
TOEFL Reading section – Overview
The Reading section on TOEFL iBT is usually the first and sometimes the most exhaustive session. It is important to go with a strategy to tackle the reading section in TOEFL. While Chirag has already covered a good strategy for getting a dream TOEFL score with his toefl tips and tricks in his earlier post on TOEFL guide, I would like to concentrate specifically on the TOEFL reading section tips and give you an idea how to score well.
How to score well on TOEFL reading section?
The key to a good TOEFL reading score is timing and strategy. Usually, the TOEFL reading section lasts 60-80 minutes depending on whether you get that extra set of questions or not. Also, some of the questions will require thinking while some will purely be based on your knowledge and range of vocabulary. So it is important that you know which type of questions you will be spending most of your time on. This may sound simple, but it is by far the most efficient trick to crack TOEFL.
Type of questions on the TOEFL reading questions.
While TOEFL reading is not much different than the reading comprehension questions of other standardized tests, there are a few question types that you can expect to be more frequent on TOEFL. Here are the tips to question each TOEFL question.
1. Primary objective questions : A question type you can expect on toefl is the usually, “The passage primarily discusses the ……” : This is a type of question that asks the test taker to identify the purpose of the passage. The trick here is to paraphrase and not go too deep. I have seen many students who read the third, second-last and last paragraphs so carefully, noting down some detailed facts that they forget the actual purpose of the passage.
2. The word “XYZ” refers to / is closest in meaning to: These type of questions test the candidate’s knowledge in vocabulary as well as appropriate word usage sense. You need to understand the absolute as well as relative meaning of words to understand what particular message they are trying to convey in that line. Usually, you will find two synonyms or closely related words in the options, but only one of them is the correct answer.
3. The phrase “XYZ ABC BLAH BLAH BLAH” refers to / conveys that: Again pretty similar to question type 2, but here the test is usage of a combination of words to imply something.
4. Normal Multiple choice questions : If it’s your day, you might come up with a normal MCQ which is related to word meaning, synonym or something like “Which of the following is/is not conveyed in XYZ paragraph”. This is the easiest of TOEFL reading question types.
5. Insert a sentence questions : One of the popular TOEFL reading questions, a question type which many find difficult to crack in toefl is the “Insert a sentence question”. While many simply follow the trial and error method (which is not at all harmful), the trick is to look for the stop words and keywords in the adjacent sentences.
6. Organize the content question: Coming back to the skill of paraphrasing, this is the question where it counts the most, usually a 2 point question which would ask you to put together 3-4 single sentences in order to provide a summary of the passage. Here order and accuracy both are important so the early work that you did mentally during paraphrasing needs to be materialized.
Pro Tip : Use Grammarly tools to improve your TOEFL score. Not only does it do wonders in improving your writing, the overall improvement seen due to practice with Grammarly also helps in comprehending different writing styles more quickly. Try the free package in the link at the top right corner and subscribe if you find it useful.
toefl reading practice tests is a free software application from the Teaching & Training Tools subcategory, part of the Education category.
The app is currently available in English and it was last updated on 2016-12-18. The program can be installed on Android.
toefl reading practice tests (version 1.0) is available for download from our website.
Just click the green Download button above to start. Until now the program was downloaded 3 times.
We already checked that the download link to be safe, however for your own protection we recommend that you scan the downloaded software with your antivirus.